August 1st is a special day in Switzerland as the entire country celebrates its foundation with brunch and barbeques, music and fireworks, and thousands of Swiss flags. Perhaps it should also be a day for the Swiss to consider how fortunate they are to live in a country with abundant resources and opportunity, something that can easily be taken for granted. Radio LoRa in Zurich has set aside the entire day for a special radio program called “Fluchtopia” that will provide information on the challenges for refugees living in Europe and how the asylum process works — or more often, doesn’t. Action from Switzerland is excited and honored to be featured for an hour on this program. AfS volunteers in Switzerland and Greece collaborated to record an hour of interviews, testimonials, and music in both English and German.
Our time slot will feature:
- An introduction to Action from Switzerland and an overview of our projects in Switzerland and Greece
- An interview with AfS founder Gabrielle Tay
- Explanations of the EU-Turkey deal and the reality of life in the camps in Greece
- Testimonials from women who are regular visitors to our Athena Centre for Women on Chios
- Music selected by volunteers and refugee visitors to the Athena Centre
Catch the Fluchtopia program by tuning into Radio LoRa (frequency 97.5 in Zurich) or stream it online at www.lora.ch.
Read more on the entire Fluchtopia program here. It will be rebroadcast in its entirety on August 2nd and 3rd. Many thanks to Radio LoRa for their attention to the plight of refugees in Europe and for giving us a microphone – both literally and figuratively!